We are live blogging from Madrid, Spain, the site of the 2016 International Surgical Pathology Symposium. All week, we will be posting plenty of photos, high-level overviews, and daily case studies for you to get a taste of this year’s symposium.
Recent Stories for Education
Lyme Disease Part 1: The Common Culprits Worldwide—Borrelia burgdorferi, Borrelia garinii, Borrelia afzelii [Hot Topic]
Over 30,000 confirmed or probable cases of Lyme disease occur annually in the United States, though the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that approximately 300,000 cases of presumed Lyme disease go unreported each year. This Hot Topic discusses scenarios in which testing for Lyme disease is indicated and reviews both recommended and inappropriate testing methodologies. The overall focus is on performance of the CDC endorsed two-tiered serologic testing algorithm and the latest CDC recommendations.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) are viral pathogens that may cause significant morbidity and mortality following transplantation. Without a gold standard for identification of the virus and assessment of viral load, providers are left without clear guidance for caring for these patients. In Part 1, we examine the available test options, their strengths and weaknesses, and review a case study of CMV infection.
Other Posts for Education
- Live Blog: Phlebotomy 2016
- Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance (MGUS) [Hot Topic]
- TransFuse Conference: Live Blog
- The DNA Sequencing Revolution: Part 1 [Hot Topic]
- Primary Myelodysplastic Syndromes: The Mayo Clinic Experience With 1000 Patients [Communiqué]
- An Emerging Infection: Zika Virus [Hot Topic]
- Phlebotomy Top Gun: Pseudohyperkalemia [Hot Topic]
- Registration Now Open for Transfuse Conference [Video]
- Phlebotomy 2016 Preview: Using Magic as a Distraction Technique
- Helicobacter pylori: An Update on Diagnostic Testing [Hot Topic]