Multi-target microbiology testing is becoming more common. This type of testing provides rapid turnaround time for multiple results on a single specimen. Validation and verification of this type of testing is complicated and proper procedures must be followed.
Recent Stories for Education
Diagnosis and Management of Waldenström Macroglobulinemia: Mayo Stratification of Macroglobulinemia and Risk-Adapted Therapy (mSMART) Guidelines [Communiqué]
Waldenström macroglobulinemia is a rare disease. Patients present with a spectrum of clinical findings, and many patients do not require treatment initially. The decision to treat patients as well as the choice of treatment can be complex. This article describes a risk-adapted approach with recommendations on timing and choice of therapy.
The Ebola virus outbreak remains ongoing in West Africa. Human-to-human transmission occurs through direct contact with body fluids from infected individuals. All laboratory testing should be performed using appropriate laboratory safety guidance. For information regarding guidance of specimen collection, transport, testing and submission for patients with suspected infection with Ebola virus, please see: Interim Guidance: Specimen Collection, Transport, Testing, and Submission from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (www.cdc.gov).
Other Posts for Education
- Annual NSH Symposia Convention Blog 2014
- Leveraging the Laboratory Outreach Conference: Outreach Acceleration
- Hyaline Filamentous Fungi Part 6: Hyaline Monomorphic Fungi [Hot Topic]
- Utilization Management 2014: Demonstrating and Delivering Value
- Evaluating Autoimmune Encephalopathies, Dementias, and Epilepsies [Hot Topic]
- Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight (MALDI-TOF) Mass Spectrometry, a Revolution in Clinical Microbiology [Virtual Visiting Faculty]
- Chikungunya Virus [Hot Topic]
- The Diagnosis of Autoimmune Encephalopathies, Dementias, and Epilepsies [Communiqué]
- Hyaline Filamentous Fungi Part 5: Hyaline Monomorphic Fungi [Hot Topic]
- Hyaline Filamentous Fungi Part 4: Hyaline Monomorphic Fungi [Hot Topic]