Altru Health System, a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, is celebrating a big discovery of a very small thing. A team of microbiologists recently discovered a bacteria species and have named it “altruii” after the hospital system, said Marijo Roiko, microbiology program director.
Recent Stories for News
Diagnostic errors in medicine are a patient safety and quality of care challenge. At the end of September 2015, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine released an Institute of Medicine report, Improving Diagnosis in Health Care. Nikola Baumann, Ph.D., co-director of the central clinical laboratory and director of central processing at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, conducted an interview with Mark Graber, M.D., founder and president of the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM), a member of the report committee, and a pioneer in the field of diagnostic errors to discuss the report in further detail. The interview was published in Clinical Laboratory News.
Next-generation sequencing is moving beyond targeted panels to whole exome sequencing and even to whole genome sequencing. In a recent article in CAP TODAY, D. Brian Dawson, Ph.D., co-director of Mayo Clinic’s molecular genetics laboratory and an associate professor of laboratory medicine and pathology and medical genetics, discusses Mayo Clinic’s use of targeted panels and whole exome sequencing.
Other Posts for News
- Dr. Bobbi Pritt’s “Parasite Wonders” Featured in American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Center Encourages Donations [Video]
- Winter Storm Jonas to Affect Specimen Shipment
- Ticks Carrying Lyme Disease Live in Almost Half of U.S. Counties
- New Antibody Therapeutics for Multiple Myeloma
- Next-Generation Sequencing Settling Into the Laboratory
- Holiday Specimen Shipment Alert
- Mayo Clinic Earns Top Spot in Gartner Rankings
- The Wall Street Journal Features Mayo Clinic Laboratories
- Mayo Medical Laboratories’ Molecular Genetics Laboratory Receives National Institutes of Health Grant