The Mayo Clinic Board of Governors identified 1964 for several reasons, the most important of which was that it fell between the 100th anniversaries of the birth dates of the Mayo brothers, William J. Mayo, M.D., in 1861 and Charles H. Mayo, M.D., in 1865.
For the sesquicentennial, the Board of Governors acknowledged the 1964 anniversary and also focused on the year 1864, when their father, William Worrall Mayo, M.D., opened a medical practice in Rochester, Minn., that evolved under the Mayo brothers into Mayo Clinic.
In 1964, Mayo’s leaders commissioned a Centennial Seal. Its depiction of “treatment,” “research” and “education” was the first visualization of Mayo’s threefold activities, currently depicted as shields in the Mayo Clinic logo.
Click here to learn more.