The first issue of “The Mayo Alumnus,” a magazine for alumni of the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, was created in 1964.
The magazine was published quarterly in January, April, July, and October. While primarily for the more than 4,000 members of the Alumni Association, “The Mayo Alumnus” was also sent to recent Mayo Graduate School fellows.
“First credit” for the magazine was given to the late Dr. D.C. Balfour. Director of Mayo Graduate School from 1937 to 1947, Dr. Balfour throughout his life maintained a warm interest in residents, not only while they were in Rochester but during their later professional and personal lives. Among other means of strengthening ties among alumni everywhere, he encouraged beginning such a publication as “The Mayo Alumnus.”
Contents of the 32-page first issue included professional news of former residents, interviews with prominent alumni, a photo essay on revisiting Rochester after a 15-year absence, reports from the Mayo Graduate School and Clinic, and other features.
The editor of “The Mayo Alumnus” was W. J. Holmes of the Clinic’s Communications Service.