In April 1952, Mayo Clinic held an open house for the Medical Sciences building. Guests at the open house included all Mayo Clinic men, women and their families, and representatives of other organizations in the Rochester community.
In addition to an open house, Mayo Clinic had a formal dedication for the building in the fall of 1952.
According to the group that organized the tours, “The early series of tours was planned so that interested persons in our own community might see the building. It goes without saying that our own Clinic people should have the chance, if they wished, to see how their Medical Sciences associates ‘live’.
Discussing the ‘public’ phase of the open house, the planners explained: “After all, this is a remarkable building—one of the more remarkable in this region, perhaps in the country. And, naturally, we’re very proud of it. In spite of real physical difficulties—the building doesn’t lend itself readily to receiving large groups of people—we wanted to give other Rochester people a chance to look the building over.