In June 1956, the Mayo Clinic Board of Governors discussed permanent names for several new buildings, including 1914, 1928 and the "new" building.
Prior to 1956, “The Mayo Clinic” was the red brick 1914 Building. Once the 1928 Building was built as an extension to the 1914 Building's original structure, the term “The Mayo Clinic” was still correctly applied to the two buildings for another quarter-century.
However, the construction of another building in the 1950's created a problem in directing patients with no naming distinction between the three buildings.
At the time, the Board of Governors was inclined to select “Tower Building” to include both 1914 and 1928 Buildings, and“Main Building,” for the newest structure.