2016 Clinical and Laboratory Update in Thrombosis and Anticoagulation Conference
SEPTEMBER 7-9 / PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FLORIDA
An estimated 37 million patients are affected by thrombotic disorders each year. This number will continue to rise with the increase in our aging population.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Individuals from hospital laboratories, including practicing clinicians, primary care providers, hematologists, cardiologists, neurologists, vascular medicine specialists, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, physician assistants, nurses, and laboratory scientists.
Topics from the conference include:
- Clinically applicable and cutting-edge methods used in the evaluation and treatment of patients with arterial and venous thrombotic disorders
- Increasing integration of novel anticoagulants
- Review of laboratory evaluation of patients with congenital and acquired thrombotic disorders
- Lectures and case studies presented by Mayo Clinic faculty
- Discussion of difficult diagnostic or management issues
- Case-based study questions with panel discussion will be covered throughout the conference
Upon completion of the conference, participants should be able to:
- Identify the optimal strategy to diagnose and manage venous and arterial thrombosis.
- Employ a practical approach to evaluation and management of patients who have a transient ischemic attack or stroke.
- Describe periprocedural anticoagulation management for patients on chronic antithrombotic therapy requiring an invasive procedure.
- Define appropriate laboratory monitoring of patients receiving novel anticoagulant therapy.
- Identify a diagnostic and management plan for patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
- Recognize newer anticoagulants being used for treatment.
- Review the laboratory aspects of thrombophilia testing.
- Define the appropriate management of patients receiving novel anticoagulant therapy who are suffering from a major bleed.
- Explain the guideline-based approach to the management of atrial fibrillation, mechanical valve disease, and venous thromboembolism.
- Discuss management of venous thrombosis occurring in the setting of pregnancy.
Attendance at this Mayo Clinic course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures that may be discussed or taught in this course.
AMA PRA Category 1TM
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 16.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Academy of Family Physicians
This Live activity, Clinical and Laboratory Update in Thrombosis and Anticoagulation, with a beginning date of 09/07/2016, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 16.5 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Nurses Credentialing Center
Mayo Continuing Nursing Education is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Participants can earn up to 16.5 ANCC nursing contact hours. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Mayo Medical Laboratories is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program. This program has been approved for 16.5 P.A.C.E. contact hours. Level of instruction for this program is intermediate.
State of California/State of Florida
Mayo Medical Laboratories is approved as a Continuing Education Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science for State of California and State of Florida credit. The level of instruction for this program is intermediate. This program has been approved for 16.5 contact hours.
Certificate of Attendance—Other Health Care Professionals
A certificate of attendance will be provided to other health care professionals for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies, or other professional associations.
Attendees should ensure in advance that their credentialing or licensing organization accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ from the sponsor of this activity.
Registration includes tuition, conference syllabus (accessible online/downloadable), breakfasts, lunches, and break refreshments.
- $430 for residents, fellows, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, or medical technologists
- $575 for physicians or scientists
Although it is not the policy of the Mayo Medical Laboratories Education Department to limit the number of registrants for a conference, room facilities may necessitate closing of enrollment; therefore, early registration is strongly advised. Please do not finalize hotel or travel arrangements until you receive written notification. Registration deadline is September 7, 2016.
REGISTRATION CLOSED. REGISTER ONSITE.
If you cancel your participation in this course, your registration fee, less a $75 administrative fee, will be refunded when written notification is received by the Mayo Medical Laboratories Education Department on or before August 15, 2016. No refunds will be made after August 15, 2016.
TRAVEL AND LODGING
Travel arrangements and lodging are the sole responsibility of the individual registrant.
Getting to Ponte Vedra Beach, you fly into either the St. Augustine Airport (UST) or the Jacksonville International Airport (JAX). Both terminals are about 30 miles from the center of Ponte Vedra Beach.
Once you’re on the ground, the options for getting around town range from rental cars, taxi service, or prearranged transportation through East Coast Transportation.
Lodging and Accommodations
Guest rooms have been reserved for attendees and their guests with special course rates at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. To receive the special rate, you must make reservations before the room block is filled or before the expiration date of August 15, 2016—whichever comes first. Reservations will be taken following this date based on space and rate availability. Please identify yourself as a participant of the Clinical and Laboratory Update in Thrombosis and Anticoagulation Conference when making a reservation.
Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
1000 PGA Tour Boulevard
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Hotel: (904) 285-7777
$149.00 single/double plus 10.5% sales tax
Mayo Medical Laboratories is not responsible for expenses incurred by an individual who is not confirmed and for whom space is not available at the meeting. Costs incurred by the registrant such as airline or hotel fees or penalties are the responsibility of the registrant.
On-site parking is available for a $10 fee. A map showing the downtown area and other transportation information is available from the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa website.
Recreation and Leisure Activities
Florida’s Ponte Vedra Beach is home to the PGA TOUR and ATP Tour, world-class golf and tennis facilities, award-winning spas, unique boutiques, and a variety of recreational and social amenities to suit every interest.
For more information on activities and events in the local area, view the "Visit Ponte Vedra" website.