The Research Roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Medical Laboratories consultants, including a featured article of the week, abstracts, and complete list of published studies and reviews.
Featured Study of the Week
Next-generation sequencing is moving beyond targeted panels to whole exome sequencing and even to whole genome sequencing. In a recent article in CAP TODAY, D. Brian Dawson, Ph.D., co-director of Mayo Clinic's molecular genetics laboratory and an associate professor of laboratory medicine and pathology and medical genetics, discusses Mayo Clinic's use of targeted panels and whole exome sequencing.
Large B-Cell Transformation in Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma: Forty-Year Experience From a Single Institution
A number of reports have shown a propensity of nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma (NLPHL) to transform to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). However, long-term data on the incidence and outcomes of transformed NLPHL is lacking. Mayo Clinic researchers performed a comprehensive, 40-year analysis of its actively maintained Lymphoma Database to assess incidence, outcomes, risk factors, and long-term follow-up of transformation of NLPHL to DLBCL. Based on the results, the risk of transformation was lower than that observed in other low grade lymphomas. The analysis was published in the Blood journal.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Prevalence and Characteristics of Central Nervous System Involvement by Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- A Hippo and Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor Autocrine Pathway in Cholangiocarcinoma
Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Prime, Shock, and Kill: Priming CD4 T Cells From HIV Patients With a BCL-2 Antagonist Before HIV Reactivation Reduces HIV Reservoir Size
The Journals of Gerontology, Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences
- Radiographic Size of Retroperitoneal Lymph Nodes Predicts Pathologic Nodal Involvement for Patients with Renal Cell Carcinoma: Development of a Risk Prediction Model.
Journal of Virology
- Photo Quiz: A 54-Year-Old Male with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Presenting with Right Periorbital Swelling and Diplopia
Journal of Clinical Microbiology
- Immunologic Autograft Engineering and Survival in Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Determination of B-Cell Epitopes in Patients with Celiac Disease: Peptide Microarrays
- Perineural Spread of Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Case Illustration With a Proposed Anatomic Mechanism and a Review of the Literature
- Mucocele-Like Lesions of the Breast: A Clinical Outcome and Histologic Analysis of 102 Cases
- Ciliated Muconodular Papillary Tumor: A Solitary Peripheral Lung Nodule in a Teenage Girl
- Evaluation of Conventional Imaging Performance in a Research Whole-Body CT System With a Photon-Counting Detector Array
Physics in Medicine and Biology
- Measure Transcript Integrity Using RNA-Seq Data
- Relationship of Sulfamethoxazole Therapeutic Drug Monitoring to Clinical Efficacy and Toxicity: A Retrospective Cohort Study
Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- An Autoimmune Basis for Diabetes-Related Chorea?
Journal of Child Neurology
- Human Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal/Stem Cells Remain Viable and Metabolically Active Following Needle Passage
- Does Cardiac Rhythm Monitoring in Patients with Elevated Troponin Levels Lead to Changes in Management?
European Heart Journal: Acute Cardiovascular Care