The Research Roundup provides an overview of the past week’s research from Mayo Medical Laboratories consultants, including a featured article of the week, abstracts, and complete list of published studies and reviews.
Featured Study of the Week
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, celiac disease is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide, and approximately 2.5 million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications. Establishing an accurate diagnosis is critical for improved quality of life and prevention of associated side effects. Unfortunately, celiac disease is a challenge to diagnose. Mayo Clinic researchers conducted a thorough review to examine diagnostic testing strategies for celiac disease, focusing on published guidelines, for the evaluation of patients with suspected celiac disease. The review was published in the Expert Review of Clinical Immunology.
Predictors of Survival in WHO-Defined Hypereosinophilic Syndrome and Idiopathic Hypereosinophilia and the Role of Next-Generation Sequencing
The natural history of primary eosinophilic disorders remains poorly defined, given the underlying disease heterogeneity. Patients who do not fit into the WHO (World Health Organization) classification of primary eosinophilias are classified as idiopathic hypereosinophilia (IHE), including idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES). Mayo Clinic researchers conducted a study to identify predictors of inferior overall survival in HES/IHE patients including relevant molecular parameters using next-generation sequencing. The study was published in Leukemia.
Published to PubMed This Week
- Frequency of Synaptic Autoantibody Accompaniments and Neurological Manifestations of Thymoma
- Management of Psychotropic Drug-Induced DRESS Syndrome: A Systematic Review
Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- USP6 Genetic Rearrangements in Cellular Fibroma of Tendon Sheath
- A Biomarker Panel to Detect Synchronous Neoplasm in Non-neoplastic Surveillance Biopsies from Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
- Clinical and Biochemical Phenotypes of Adults With Monoallelic and Biallelic CYP24A1 Mutations: Evidence of Gene Dose Effect
- Late Durability of Decellularized Allografts For Aortic Valve Replacement: A Word of Caution
Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Interpreting Anti-HLA Antibody Testing Data: A Practical Guide for Physicians
- Myoepithelioma of Soft Tissues: A Single Institution Retrospective Case Series
American Journal of Clinical Oncology
- BCR-JAK2 Fusion in a Myeloproliferative Neoplasm With Associated Eosinophilia
- Safety and Outcomes of Percutaneous Biopsy of 61 Hepatic Adenomas
American Journal of Roentgenology
- Arginase-1 Is Frequently Positive in Hepatoid Adenocarcinomas
- High-Throughput Online Solid-Phase Extraction Tandem Mass Spectrometry: Is it Right For Your Clinical Laboratory?
- Abnormal Stress Echocardiography Findings in Cardiac Amyloidosis
- Low-Grade Malignant Proliferating Tricholemmal Tumor Associated With Occult Ductal Carcinoma In Situ of the Breast
American Journal of Dermatopathology
- Improved Perioperative Analgesia With Ultrasound-Guided Ilioinguinal/Iliohypogastric Nerve or Transversus Abdominis Plane Block for Open Inguinal Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
Journal of Physical Therapy Science
- Multimodality Imaging of Foreign Bodies In and Around the Heart
- Clinical Utility of Testing AQP4-IgG in CSF: Guidance For Physicians
Neurology: Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation
- Time Dependent Patient No-Show Predictive Modelling Development
International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance