C_n y_ur type fill the missing g_ps? Yes!
In an effort to create awareness about the need for blood donors and blood donations, the Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Center in Rochester is taking part in an international blood donor campaign called the “Missing Type” initiative.
The global campaign is based on the insight that people rarely think about their blood type–most of us don’t even know it. But if that “type” was to go missing in everyday life, people would start to pay closer attention to the need for blood donations. So, the letters “A,” “O,” and “B” (the letters that make up the blood groups) have been removed from the Blood Donor Center’s marketing pieces and social media.
Can You Help Fill the Gaps?
The original “Missing Type” campaign was created in 2015 by the NHS Blood and Transplant organization in England and North Wales for National Blood Week. It was a massive success, reaching more than two billion people through news coverage and social media activity, and it ultimately drove 30,000 new donors to register.
Dr. Kreuter Interviewed by ABC Channel 6
Recently, the news team at KAAL (ABC Channel 6) tracked down Justin Kreuter, M.D., the Medical Director of Mayo’s Blood Donor Center to ask him about the ongoing campaign. Reporter Ben Henry spoke with Dr. Kreuter and also longtime donor Mark Korinek. Watch the news clip.
When You Give, Others Live
There are a number of ways you can support the Missing Type campaign:
- In Olmsted County, Minnesota, visit www.mayoclinic.org/donateblood for more information about Mayo’s Blood Donor Center locations. Also, feel free to email email@example.com or call the center’s main number at (507) 284-4475.
- Outside of Olmsted County, contact the American Red Cross.
- Show your support for blood donation on social media by posting about blood donation and removing the A’s, O’s, and B’s from your social media name or text. Use the hashtag #MissingType.
- Like the Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Center on Facebook.
- Encourage local businesses to remove the A’s, O’s, and B’s from company logos.
- Encourage others to consider becoming lifelong blood donors.
Join the global community of lifesavers and become a new blood donor. Do something amazing and register today.