In May 1986, the first official Mayo Clinic sign was uncovered. A “dig” of a landfill area just outside Rochester uncovered the original Mayo Clinic entryway stone that once graced the front of the 1914 Building. The stone (made of Missouri marble) still had much of its original finish when it was unearthed.
The original entryway of the 1914 Mayo Clinic Building was trimmed with decorative Missouri marble. Over the main door of the building, the name “Mayo Clinic” was inscribed for the first time. When the 1928 building was erected alongside the 1914 facility, the original entrance of the latter was bricked over to provide additional space. People then entered the combined structures through the impressive bronze doors.
Portions of the marble entryway were removed from the 1914 Building and hauled to a rural area near Rochester. Over the years, trees and vines have obscured their identity.