WHY USE MAYO MEDICAL LABORATORIES?
EXPERTISE IN ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
CMA testing generates large amounts of complex data that require a high-level of expertise to accurately assess and classify each abnormality detected. Our laboratory directors review thousands of CMA tests each year and are actively involved in the field of cytogenetics, helping to create testing standards and shape practice guidelines. Every CMA test performed at Mayo Clinic is supported by the experience and expertise of our laboratory directors, ensuring we not only provide test results but clinically actionable interpretations.
Benefits of Mayo Clinic Testing
- Manual review of software output to eliminatecommon errors such as misidentification, background noise, and failure to detect mosaicism
- Examination of every abnormality regardless of size to determine the importance and relevance of gene content rather than a strict reliance on reporting size criteria
- Integration of historical data on common benign polymorphisms and previously reported abnormalities to improve accuracy of interpretation
- Extensive literature and database searches to ensure accurate and up-to-date classification of abnormalities
- Performance of parental studies, when necessary, to determine whether the chromosomal abnormality is inherited or de novo to help determine if it is benign or pathogenic and if future pregnancies are at risk
- Determination of maternal cell contamination to assess if fetal (not maternal) DNA is available for analysis from prenatal specimens